Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentine's Day Children's Sermon

It has been a while since I have written up my children's sermon, but it's not that I haven't been doing them, just ended up busy on Sunday afternoons and forget later in the week. But on to today's children's sermon: Signs of Love (before going to church this morning I packed my totebag with all sort of things that I've seen advertised for Valentine's Day - flowers (just a silk one), a box of chocolate, a fancy jewelry box, school valentine's, balloons, etc)

So kids what holiday is coming up this week? Valentine's Day! Yes you are right, so what is Valentine's Day all about? Love!?! Oh it's that all that mushy stuff? Well not always. So what are some signs of love that we especially see right now for Valentine's Day? Flowers - Yes and I pull out my silk flower.


What else? Chocolate - yes and I pull out my box of chocolates. Someone else offered teddy bears - yes but I didn't bring one of those. How about jewelry? Yes they responded and I pulled out a little velvet box. Anything with hearts - yes!!! Those are all things that we use to show love, but what about the wooden cross? Have you ever received a Valentine's with a wooden cross on it? - NO, but it shows God's Love! Excellent! What about this book (holding up the Bible) does this show love? Yes You are right, some people call this a book of love letters from God. And in the Bible in the book of John chapter 3 verse 16 we hear how much God loves us. (I asked the kids to recite this verse for me and they mumbled it - quickly) So here my children's moment changed directions a bit. And I asked if I gave you a giant Hershey's kiss would you be excited? Would you go tell your Mom or Dad "Hey I got a giant Hershey's kiss!" Well you need to say that verse with just as much excitement because "God loves YOU enough to send his ONLY son, his only child, so that we can live where? In heaven with him!(Was their reply)

Now Jesus showed us by dying on the cross how to show love - he served others during his time in ministry here on earth. Sometimes all these "signs of love" are just things, what really counts is how we serve others for Jesus. I want you to think of a way that you can serve or help someone this week as their Valentine!
With this we closed with prayer and they each received a small chocolate heart candy.

1 comment:

  1. A very similar idea came to me tonight. I thought it was great but wasn't sure how to show it. Then I came across your sermon and it confirmed my thoughts. Thank you for posting and giving me reassurance on hearing from God with ideas that seem different. We just want to please Him.Thanks again so much

    ReplyDelete