Sunday, May 6, 2012

Children's sermon - Love of a mother

I brought with me a picture of my Great Aunt on her 90th birthday and then a picture of her descendants. This children's sermon might be a little specific to me, but I think it could be adapted to other families.

As usual I got the kids warmed up a little bit with a Good morning and how are you? First let me read you some scripture. We will be reading from Deuteronomy 7:12-13 "If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the Lord your God will keep his covenant of love with you, as he swore to your forefathers. He will love you and bless you and increase your number..." Then I said that I wanted to share something that had happened to me yesterday. I held up the picture of my Great Aunt at her 90th  birthday party. I explained who she was and that how cool it was for someone to have lived 90 years. 

My Great Aunt on her 90th birthday
"That means she was born in 1922, boy that was a long time ago. So what do you think it was like to be a kid your age when she was young? (the kids didn't really give me answers so I explained a couple of things) when she was born she was raised on a farm and they were still using horses to do the farm work. She helped bake bread because that was before sliced bread. And she had to help make butter, if they wanted it for their bread. The I jumped to when she got married, she got married and her husband was sent off to serve in World War 2, while she was home raising their first child. Now I know that being a single parent is hard, but being a single parent in the 1940's would have been very difficult. But on top of that her husband was a prisoner of war. She wasn't even sure that he was living or if he would come home. But he did! When the war was over, they went on to have a total of 4 children. now kids tell me do you get along with your siblings? (And I asked a couple of the kids that I knew had at least 3 kids in the family) well these kids haven't always gotten along either, especially now that they are adults and have families, but they were all together yesterday because their mother loved them. "The Lord promised that he would increase our numbers if they followed the laws." well you see my great aunt, at least as long as I have known her, has had her Bible on her kitchen table for her quiet time with the Lord. Even when I traveled with her, she had her Bible with her. She lived her life in a way that was pleasing to the Lord. in return, she has had increase of her numbers, which showed yesterday when her descendants at her party were 34 with one on the way, but the true number is 36 as there were a few that couldn't make it in for the party. So from the love of 2 people, they had four children who in turned loved someone and they had children and it continues.
The entire family!

So with this being the week before Mother's Day I challenged the kids to start the first part of this verse with paying attention to the laws of the Lord and to maybe begin with "Obey thy mother and father" as it is never too late to start following the Lord's laws and then he will be able to increase your numbers too. Imagine what you could tell your great grandchildren if you start following the Lord now!

We closed in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment