Friday, March 2, 2012

Dr. Seuss Game

Yesterday I emptied an oatmeal canister and immediately started thinking about Dr. Seuss and the Cat in the Hat. This canister is perfect for a very simple Seuss hat. I simply took some red paper and wrapped it around the canister. I then cut 1 1/2" strips of white paper and just taped them into place. I then cut a circle on red and cut out the center for the hat brim.  I started with the hat and then what were we going to do with that?


 I sat it on the table and thought, thought, thought
Then a thought, should we, ought?
A ball pitch, bean bags, then the red flags
The catapults and bean bags!!!

A word is called and a rhyme is made
Then the bean bags shot can be made
Can it hit the hat
Or will we hear "rats!"
Get the bag into the hat
It is simple as that!


The boys both had a great time coming up with words that rhyme. Garrett was really into it but had a little bit of trouble getting some rhymes, so we pulled out our Leap Frog Word whammer. I put in a word and then Garrett had to change a letter to make it rhyme. This was a great 45minutes of learning, because the launching of bean bags held his attention to getting rhyming words. So make a rhyme and then get a chance to launch the catapults. A lot of fun with a lot of learning all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment