Monday, March 12, 2012

Time - Children's Sermon

Yesterday I once again had our children's sermon at church. I had a couple of ideas (will share those later) but when I went to change the clocks, I knew it was perfect for a lesson on time.
I started as I was going to the front with"I'm late, I'm late for a very important date Come on kids get up here, hurry up a bit" (as they poked along because they were tired) And we sat down, and I asked them what time it was? I looked at my watch and then the church clock -"Oh dear they don't match. What other ways do we keep track of time? how do we know our schedule?" A few kids came up with the calendar and watches. "your right - so what's on your schedule?  School, homework, but what about prayer time? Is that ever on your calendar? How about your to do list?" And the kids looked at me a bit weird. So I asked "Is now the right time to pray? (some said yes and some said no) Is there a right time to pray? The pastor always asks us for our joys and concerns before we pray, but is that the only time to pray?" They responded no. "So what is the right time to pray? According to the Bible we are to pray unceasingly. But I have other things to do than pray all day. Should we skip recess and school to pray? (They thought about that one for a while) We can pray anytime it comes to mind. We can pray before a test, while doing our chores, while playing at school or at home. It is like the radio that is on in the background. WE can stop and pray just like we can stop and listen to the radio if something gets our attention.

I then read Ecclesiastes 3:1-12 to the children and stopped along the way to explain a few, but at the end it says that "God has made everything beautiful in its time. And we need to remember that no matter what it is, prayer time or play time, slow people in front of us. No matter what God gives us- it is in his perfect timing."

No comments:

Post a Comment