Monday, March 12, 2012

National 4-H Week

It is National 4-H Week and if you don't know what 4-H is, let me take a minute or so of your time and fill you in. As a 4-H Alumni and a current 4-H leader, this has been a very valuable organization in my life that I would like to share with you. 4-H is 100 this year and therefore it has seen it's share of changes as does any organization that has been able to change with the times. But 4-H is an organization, originally meant for rural youth, but has since spread into the urban and suburban areas. 4-H works to help kids discover their interests, follow those interests and do it in a hands-on way. 4-H provides a safe place for youth to try new things, experiment with leadership skills and being a leader. It gives opportunities to excel in places, skills and talents that school never gets too.

I am proud to be a 4-H alumni, as I made so many life long friends through 4-H. But I also learned that I had leadership skills, youth development skills, and the ability to help others work through challenges through 4-H. 4-H isn't just an organization, it is a family. There is a whole new community created through 4-H. Be it computer skills, raising livestock or dairy projects, sewing, cooking, nutrition, gardening, money management, career development, public speaking, wildlife studies, etc. There is just about something for everyone. 

This week, I challenge you, that if you don't know about 4-H to ask around and see if there is 4-H in your community. If so find out what they do and how you could be involved.

  If you are involved with 4-H, I challenge you to take time to thank someone that has been an influence in your  4-H career.

4-H Motto : To Make the Best Better

4-H Pledge : I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
                     my heart to greater loyalty,
                     my hands to larger service
                     my health to better living
                      for my club, my community, my country and my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment