Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snowflake Children's sermon

I was having problems with this post, so I will try it again, but I'm sure it won't be exactly as I first wrote it. sorry if you have seen this earlier and it's not the same.
This is a children's sermon I did a few years back, but it is always fun. So I begin "so have you been enjoying the snow? (Assuming that you have snow- it's a good lesson for a wintry weekend) Have you been sledding? Snowman building? How about just checking out snowflakes? What do you know about a snowflake? Did you know that is starts as a speck of dirt? Did you know that snowflakes grow? They all have 6 sides but did you know that they all are unique? What does that word mean? Unique! Well that means that each 1 is different, there isn't any 1 snowflake exactly the same.  Here let me show you. I have asked a couple of adults to help me today, if they would stand. Now they have NO idea what they have agreed to, but I need to ask them to agree to the following rules. First rule- you won't look at what the other adults are doing- please do your own work. Second- You can't ask any questions. And finally that they will do their best to follow the directions. (Once the adults have agreed to this they each receive a square piece of paper like what you would cut snowflakes out of)
Okay adults here we go- (make sure that the children can easily watch the adults) Please fold your paper in half and then in half again. Now tear the top right corner off.
We will continue by having you fold your paper again in half and again tearing off the top right hand corner. And we need to do that one more time- fold your paper in half and tear off the top right corner. (now have the adults open their snowflakes)
 
What they aren't all the same?!? What happened? Did the adults follow the directions? They did? Oh I get it  this is how God works, we are all different.  You are just like the snowflakes- you are each unique and if we look into God's word in Psalms 139:14 it says "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  So you see that we have been told in the Bible that no matter what others may have said or told you, you are perfect just the way God made you. Just like the snowflake- you are unique exactly the way God wanted you to be.
 
With that we closed in prayer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment