Monday, January 25, 2010

Commitment Children's sermon

In yesterday's Children's sermon, I focused on committment. I did have some help to start the children's time, as I had spoke with the worship leader and asked that she invite the children forward and then start looking around for whoever was to be doing the children's sermon. I acted as if I didn't realize that I was suppose to do the children's time. I did have one wonderful person speak up and say that she would do something, to which I stood and pointed out that my name was in the bulletin and it appeared that I had forgotten.
I then went forward and spoke with the children. I asked them if they knew what a commitment was. They didn't, but they did know what a promise was. I asked them if they had ever promised to do something. Then asked "have you ever broken your promise?" Like maybe "I'll clean my room. I'll do my homework as soon as I get back. I will pick up my mess tomorrow, etc" Then I asked if God had ever made a promise. They answered "Yes" "What?" was my question. Unfortunately they couldn't come up with a promise but the adults did. "I will never leave you nor forsake you" and "I will be with you always." I explained that I am a rainbow chaser. I go out anytime that it is raining and the sun is shining to look for the rainbow. So what promise does that beautiful rainbow remind us of? Then they came up with that God promised to never destroy the world by flood again. Now I did remind them that God did not say that he wouldn't destroy countries or cities by flood, but that he would not destroy the world by flood.
So has God ever broken a promise? They answered "No" so he has gone to heaven and is making a room for me? "yes" was their reply. So aren't we to try to become more like Jesus each day? Then shouldn't we be careful of what we promise to do? If we don't plan on following through, should we promise to do it? We need to make sure that when we say we are going to do something that we do it. First because we said that we would, but second because someone is depending on us. And finally, if we have made that "commitment" then we need to follow through and try to be more like Jesus and God by not breaking our promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment