Thursday, April 18, 2013

Camper Sunday - Children's Sermon

This past Sunday was "Camper Sunday" at our church as we had a speaker in from Wesley Woods Church Camp (where most of our youth go). Well I had the children's sermon. Before I left home I grabbed Robert's tent in it's bag, a ball and a tube of glow sticks.

When it was time for children's sermon, I "drug" the tent to the front and told the woman who heads camping at our church "I'm ready, Karen! I'm ready for Camper Sunday! But I'm confused? When I came in I didn't see any RV's that I know we have in the congregation and no tow-behind campers and the yard wasn't full of tents. What kind of "camper" Sunday was this anyway? Wait he's from Wesley Woods! This isn't camper Sunday it's CAMP Sunday!!!!  Well I get it and boy can I tell you things about camp!  I never went to Wesley Woods, but I did go to church camp and scout camp and 4-H camp. Well to be honest, I spent most of my summers packing and unpacking from camps when I was home. But one of the most important things that I learned while at church camp was a song called "Pass It On" What do you think that means?  Here (and I pulled out my ball) and passed it around. Now make sure everyone gets to pass it. Wasn't that great? We passed the ball along. Is that what it's all about? UMMM no that isn't what this song is about. Let me share the words...

 It only take a spark to get a fire going. And soon all those around can warm up in it's glowing. That's how it is with God's love, once you've experienced it, You want to sing, it's fresh like spring you want to pass it on.
 
 
So you see once you receive Christ, you want to share it with EVERYONE!  It's like a fire, you can't contain a fire. And you can't contain Christ either. You have a light that you want to share with everyone. So on this Camp Sunday I want to give each of you a glow stick to remind you that you need to share the light that is inside of you that is Jesus. And that you should "Pass It on."
 
And we closed in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment