Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Day

With all the hype of election day around here, I took the opportunity to involve the boys in the election. I knew that yesterday they would be doing their "elections" at school so at breakfast we talked about what they knew about the candidates. Robert had been talking  a lot about the elections and when we discussed this I was surprised what he really did know about them. Without, influencing them about how I was going to vote I asked some questions.
1. So who would you vote for?
2. Why?
3. What do they stand for? (Robert understood this one- Garrett not so much)
4. Does what they stand for and what you believe match up?

To this Robert answered "Doesn't Obama believe that guys and guys and girls and girls can marry?" To which I replied - "yes, why? Do you believe in that?" He looks at me with all seriousness and says "Mom, God says that it is to be a Guy and a Girl, that's not how God wants it!"  (And inside I'm going YEAH!!!!!!! he has it, now to make sure he continues to understand that)

So yesterday afternoon, I picked the boys up at school so we had enough time to let them accompany us to the voting polls. Gary took Garrett and I took Robert with us. They each got a sample ballot to look over too. Then this morning they were up watching the TV for the results (they needed the answer for school), but they were interested in what our government is doing. Even if it is just a little bit of interest, it's a start. For Robert it is part of him learning about our government and where "we the people" fit into the chain of command.

Even if the elections didn't turn out the way I had hoped, at least it was an educational opportunity for the boys. If you get the chance talk to your kids about what they believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment