Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Childen's Sermon - Be prepared!

As I sat with the kids at church on Sunday, I confessed the following to them....

"Okay this week has been really busy at our house. We have been busy finishing projects because well at our house it is fair time. And the other night as I was working on my quilt trying to get it finished, I was talking to God. I asked him what should I do for children's sermon. And do you know what popped into my head - The Boy Scout Slogan "Be Prepared!" I was like okay what does that have to do with the children's sermon. I am trying to be prepared.  -- Wait kids can you tell me what the word prepared means? (the kids looked at each other and then someone said "to get ready)" Exactly!!!! I need to get ready. So I started thinking about all the things we should get ready for. So what do you get ready for? Vacations? (Yes and I pulled out a tour book), School (Yes - I pulled out a book bag and markers),  At our house, the Fair (out came the fairbook)company ? (Yes) How do you get ready for company? (One little one said "Clean-up!") Do we get ready to go outside in the sun? (Yes and out came the sunscreen and sunglasses). But do you what hit me that I had missed getting ready for?  I have been SO busy, that I haven't taken time to get ready, or Be Prepared, for when Jesus comes back. Hmmm.

How do we get ready for that?  Well we should be reading our Bibles, and praying with God and sharing with others about God. Now Jesus is going to be like the unexpected visitor that just shows up at the door and says" Hey are you ready to go to heaven?"  He tells us so in the Bible, in Luke 12:40 it says "You also must be ready, because the son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." I hope you will be ready and your answer will be  "Yes" and that you don't answer Jesus with "Hey can you wait just a few minutes to go to heaven, I need to get ready."

So as you are "getting ready" for school or vacation or the many other things that summer offers, don't forget to make sure you take time to "Be Prepared" for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment