Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Different Signs of Spring- Ag Minute

Cornish Cross Broiler ChicksEvery year, I go outside looking for signs of spring. Little flowers poking their heads up through the frozen ground, the sound of birds returning , geese flying overhead in the northward direction, but there is one that I tend to forget about... newborns.
Spring is the time of year when there are a lot of newborns. New born goats, lambs, piglets, chicks, ducklings. This year I have been able to be part of the births of several sets of goats and of a set of twin lambs. I have seen baby piglets recently and I heard that it will soon be chick days at our local farm supplier.  These are no the normal signs of spring that I look for but I have been privileged to be involved this year in a new way. And it does remind me that Spring is just around the corner. 

So if you get a chance, this is a great time to visit a farm and maybe see some little ones about. It is also a great time to stop in to your local farm/ranch supply store and see if they will be having baby chicks. The kids love it, if nothing else to stop and see and maybe pet those little yellow fluffy bodies. (remember to wash your hands after petting animals!)

If you want to see more baby chicks of a variety of breeds, check out this link: https://www.esteshatchery.com/baby-chick-pictures.html

So go see what signs of Spring you can see!

No comments:

Post a Comment